Kay Atwood graduated from Mills College in 1964 and earned a master's degree from the University of California, Davis. For over thirty years, she worked independently as a local historian and consultant in southwest Oregon. She authored several books and reports on Oregon history, including Illahe, the Story of Settlement in the Rogue River Canyon, Mill Creek Journal, and Chaining Oregon: Surveying the Public Lands of the Pacific Northwest, 1851-1855. She passed away in 2014.
Frank Clark (1872-1957)
Frank C. Clark practiced architecture for more than forty years in southwest Oregon’s Jackson and Josephine Counties. Prolific in output, he employed a variety of styles in residences, schools, commercial buildings, and institutional structures. Though by no means the only architect working in the region during the first half of …
Oregon Land Survey, 1851-1855
In 1850, President Millard Fillmore appointed John B. Preston as Oregon Territory's first surveyor general. Preston arrived in the territory in 1851; and by the time he and the last of his surveyors left in 1855, the western interior valleys of Oregon and Washington lay measured in the townships and …