Tyler Wayne Patterson studies history and ethnic studies at Lewis & Clark College. He is particularly interested in transportation history, especially the influence mobility has on the landscape. Tyler is the Social Media Manager at The Pioneer Log.
Great Plank Road
The Great Plank Road, constructed in 1856, connected productive agricultural communities in the Tualatin Valley to Portland. Paved with sixteen-foot, three-inch-thick wooden planks, the road offered an improved route from agricultural communities to Portland and its large market. Before the road's construction, Tualatin farmers used Canyon Road, surfaced with rock …