Jay Paulsen, MD, MPH, is a retired U.S. Public Health Service officer who has been on the Knappton Cove Heritage Center Board since 2011. He lives in Hillsboro, Oregon.
Columbia River Quarantine Station
The Columbia River Quarantine Station was opened in 1899 by the U.S Marine Hospital Service, which became the U.S. Public Health Service in 1912. The station—located in Astoria, Oregon, and Knappton, Washington—was a response to pressure from Astoria and Portland businessmen who feared that a spread of contagious diseases would …