Portland State University, founded in 1946, is part of the Oregon University System. The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities fully accredits Portland State University, which has more than 1,200 faculty and offers 124 degree programs in 8 colleges for more than 24,000 students. The university’s motto, “Let knowledge serve the city” affirms its dedication to excellence in research, teaching, and outreach programs. As a microcosm of the global society, its metropolitan environment becomes a laboratory for PSU faculty and students. The university conducts research and community service that supports a quality educational environment and reflect issues important to the region. PSU actively promotes the development of a network of educational institutions to serve the community. The diversity of its students and their communities enhances academic programs and extracurricular activities.
Oregon Historical Society, founded in 1898, opened its first office and museum in Portland City Hall and began its collecting program. In 1917, it moved to Portland’s Public Auditorium and in 1966 to its current location in Portland’s Cultural District. OHS has published Oregon Historical Quarterly, the journal of record for Oregon history, continuously since 1900 and has published more than 150 books on Oregon history. The institution’s collections comprise 85,000 artifacts and the world’s largest collection of published and archival materials on Oregon, including more than 25,000 maps, 30,000 books, 8.5 million feet of film and videotape, 16,000 rolls of microfilm, and 12,000 linear feet of documents. OHS also holds more than 2.5 million images in its photographic archives, representing subjects from pre-statehood to the present day.