Kinsman Foundation Historic Preservation Grant entries

kinsman logoWith support from the Kinsman Foundation Historic Preservation Grant­, the OE has been able to publish twenty-four new entries and over one hundred images on Oregon places and structures that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Kinsman Foundation is a private foundation built on the philanthropy of John and Elizabeth T. Kinsman of Milwaukie.

One of the OE’s goals is to include as many entries as possible on historic places and buildings in Oregon. Making authoritative information on such topics widely available will both foster a better understanding of Oregon history and culture and encourage the preservation of important historic buildings and districts. The entries describe architectural details of the structures, as well as examine how those structures are significant to the people who built and used them.

Central Oregon

Bend Amateur Athletic Club Gymnasium
by Nathan Pedersen

BAACThe Bend Amateur Athletic Club Gymnasium, also known as the Old Bend High School Gym, is located at 520 Northwest Wall Street in Bend. Once the cultural and recreational heart of the city, the building survives as the center for the Boys and Girls Club of Central Oregon. The gymnasium, which is a blend of Mission and Jacobean styles, is distinguished by decorative concrete plaques that depict Native American athletes. Read More.

Elk Lake Guard Station
by Les Joslin

Elk Lake Guard StationIn 1920, when a wagon road connected Bend with Elk Lake thirty-five miles to the west in the Deschutes National Forest, outdoor recreation boomed in the area. National forest campgrounds were built, summer home sites were leased, and Elk Lake Lodge was constructed in 1922. By 1924, there was an Elk Lake post office. The U.S. Forest Service ranger in LaPine, who relocated to Bend in 1933, soon needed a summer forest guard in the Elk Lake country to serve visitors, maintain facilities, and prevent and fight fires. Read More.

Goodwillie House
by Nathan Pedersen

GoodwillieThe Goodwillie House, commonly known as the Allen-Rademacher House, is the only extant example in Deschutes County of an early Craftsman bungalow. Located at 875 Northwest Brooks Street, the house was built in 1904 and survives as a bicycle shop, a ski shop, a coffee shop, and a bar called Crows Feet Commons. Read More. 

O'Kane Building
by Nathan Pedersen

OkaneThe O'Kane Building, at 115 Northwest Oregon Avenue in Bend, was built by Hugh O'Kane in 1916. Designed by the Beezer Brothers of Seattle, the O'Kane building is the best representative of early modern commercial buildings in Bend and was the first to be built with reinforced concrete. At 100 by 140 feet, with approximately 26,000 square feet of interior space, the two-story structure is still the largest commercial building in the city. Read More.

Paulina Lake Guard Station
by Les Joslin

Paulina Lake Guard StnThe Civilian Conservation Corps built Paulina Lake Guard Station in 1938 on the south shore of the larger of the two lakes within the Newberry Caldera on the Deschutes National Forest. As a satellite of a U.S. Forest Service ranger station, the guard station was staffed by a seasonal forest guard who assisted a district forest ranger. Located about thirty-five miles east of the crest of the Cascade Range and thirty-five road miles south of Bend, Paulina Lake Guard Station was and remains a remote Forest Service outpost. Read More.

 

Eastern Oregon

Morrow County Courthouse
by Sarah Munro

Morrow CountyThe Morrow County Courthouse is one of the oldest continuously operating courthouses in Oregon. Named for pioneer merchant and legislator Jackson L. Morrow, Morrow County was created on February 16, 1885. Heppner was named the county seat in an election held the following June, and local citizens paid for a two-story wooden structure which became the first county courthouse. Read More. 

Pelota Fronton
by Sarah Munro

pelota frontonThe pelota fronton in Jordan Valley is a handball court built by Basque sheepherders in 1915. This landmark is a symbol of the cultural traditions of Basque immigrants during a period when sheepherding dominated the local economy. Popular in the provinces of southern France and northern Spain, the game of pelota spread throughout the New World with Basque immigrants. Read More.

Sherman County Courthouse
by Tania Hyatt-Evenson

sherman county courthouseThe Sherman County Courthouse in Moro is one of only three county courthouses in Oregon to be used continuously since its construction in the nineteenth century. The other two courthouses are in Benton, and Polk Counties. Built in 1899, the Sherman County Courthouse is an example of understated Queen Anne architecture, a popular style for government and public buildings at the turn of the twentieth century. Read More. 

 

 

Oregon Coast

Egyptian Theatre
by Jessica Rondema

Egyptian theatreThe Egyptian is a vaudeville-era theater located at 229 South Broadway in Coos Bay. In 1925, John C. Noble and Robert Marsden Jr. of the Coos Bay Amusement Company commissioned Portland architect Lee Arden Thomas and designer Carl F. Berg to convert the Motor Inn Garage and Service Station into a theater that would bring popular entertainment and culture to the southwest Oregon coast. Read More.

Conde B. McCullough Memorial Bridge
by Judy Fleagle

Conde McCullough BridgeOf all the bridges engineer Conde B. McCullough designed, the one on Highway 101 that spans Coos Bay was his favorite. This impressive bridge was renamed the Conde B. McCullough Memorial Bridge in 1947, the year after McCullough died. The bridge was part of the federally funded Coast Bridges Project, a Works Progress Administration (WPA) plan in 1934-1936 to build five bridges across coastal waterways in order to complete the Oregon Coast Highway. With its mix of Art Deco, Gothic, and Moderne design elements, the McCullough Memorial is one of the most recognizable icons of the Oregon coast. Read More.

 

Southern Oregon

Buckhorn Mineral Springs Resort
by Richard Engeman

buckhornBuckhorn Mineral Springs is on Emigrant Creek, about eleven miles southeast of Ashland in the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument, located in a part of Oregon where the ancient Siskiyou Mountains adjoin the recent volcanism of the Cascade Range. One of a number of mineralized hot and cold springs in the region, Buckhorn Springs is distinguished for its cold soda water, which has a high content of dissolved carbon dioxide. Read More.

Fort Klamath
by Kurt Nelson

fort klamathDuring the Civil War era, tens of thousands of people immigrated to the Pacific Northwest. While they avoided the war, they faced conflict with Native people whose homelands were being threatened. On the Applegate Trail, the new settlers met particular resistance from the Modocs, and the Oregon legislature called on the U.S. Army to build a fort in south-central Oregon. Brigadier General Benjamin Alvord, who was in command of the army's Department of Oregon (1862-1865), approved the creation of the post. In 1863, Captain William Kelly led C Troop, First Oregon Cavalry, into the Wood River Valley to build and occupy Fort Klamath. Read More.

Hanley Farm
by Richard Engeman

hanley farmThe Hanley Farm, situated along Jackson Creek about two miles northeast of Jacksonville, is a historic farmstead owned by the Southern Oregon Historical Society. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, the Hanley Farm has a main residence, two large barns, a stone springhouse, and a number of outbuildings. For nearly a century, the farm was operated entirely by Hanley women, notably Alice Hanley and her nieces Claire, Martha, and Mary. All of them played prominent roles in Jackson County horticulture and in the preservation of southern Oregon history, particularly in the establishment and operation of the Southern Oregon Historical Society. Read More. 

Medford IOOF Cemetery
by Ann M. Nicgorski

Medford IOOF cemeteryThe Medford IOOF Cemetery, also known as the Eastwood Cemetery, was founded in 1890 by the Medford Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF). The cemetery is located on about twenty acres at Siskiyou Boulevard and Highland Drive in the southeastern suburbs of the city. It was moved to the oak-studded, hillside location after a flood damaged the original site, which had been established in 1887. The IOOF Lodge purchased the land, part of the William Barneburg donation land claim, for $700. The Barneburg family had buried two family members at the highest elevation on the site in 1878 and 1883. Read More.

Rogue Theatre
by Joe Fitzgibbon

rogue theatreDuring some of the darkest days of the Depression, Grants Pass residents and business owners enthusiastically welcomed the opening of the Rogue Theatre. The eye-catching exterior included bright green, black, and white glazed tiles and a large marquee topped with an illuminated neon sign spelling out the theater's name. The futuristic-looking Art Moderne building combined art, comfort, and entertainment, an antidote to raise the spirits of the community of about 6,000. Read More.

 
 

Portland Metro

Central Library (Multnomah County)
by Jim Carmin

central libraryCentral Library, the largest building in the Multnomah County Library system (originally the Library Association of Portland), is the generally acknowledged masterpiece of Portland architect Albert E. Doyle (1877-1928). The building replaced Portland's central library at Stark Street and Seventh Avenue, which had been completed in 1893. By 1910, that building was no longer adequate to meet the needs of the city’s population, which had grown rapidly following the 1905 Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition. Read More.

 

Dekum Building
by Morgen Alix Young

dekumThe Dekum Building is an eight-story, Richardsonian Romanesque edifice constructed between 1891 and 1892. Frank Dekum commissioned the Portland architectural firm of McCaw & Martin to design the building in 1890. Located at 519 Southwest Third Avenue in Portland, the Dekum Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Read More. 

Hollywood Theatre
by Joe Fitzgibbon

hollywood theatreOn July 17, 1926, Claude C. Jensen and John G. von Herberg, owners of a string of over thirty silent movie theaters from Los Angeles to Seattle, opened the 1,500-seat Hollywood Theatre with great fanfare as a companion to their ornate Liberty Theatre in Astoria, Oregon. Rose City Park residents in northeast Portland were so impressed with the building's beauty that they renamed their neighborhood the Hollywood District. Read More.

Mackenzie House
by Morgen Alix Young

mackenzie houseThe Dr. K.A.J. and Cora Mackenzie House, located at 615 Northwest 20th Avenue in Portland, was constructed in 1892. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996, the house was designed by the firm of McCaw & Martin. Kenneth A.J. Mackenzie (1859-1920), educated at McGill University (Montreal) and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Edinburgh, arrived in Portland in 1882. The following year, he joined the Willamette University Medical Department faculty in Salem. Mackenzie and Cora Kerr (1862-1901) were married in 1886. Read More.

 
 
 
 
 
 

Oregon Encyclopedia - Oregon History and Culture

Copyright © 2008-2014 Portland State University